Mental Health Law Specialists
Our specialist Mental Health Law Department has been providing advice in mental health law to clients for many years.
Our dedicated team of experienced solicitors regularly represent clients before Mental Health Tribunals and at Hospital Managers Hearings.
In addition to advocacy we deal with all other aspects of Mental Health law including assisting clients detained under civil provisions, hospital orders and transfer provisions, as well as those admitted informally.
We are an approved supplier by the Legal Aid Agency and can provide legal advice and representation and our solicitors are accredited members of the Law Society Mental Health Review Tribunal Panel, a dedicated body of solicitors specialising in Mental Health Law.
We also have considerable experience in the County Court when representing Nearest Relatives in Displacement Proceedings. We also represent clients who are subject to the provisions of the Mental Capacity Act 2005.
Our solicitors and other legal professionals in the department have the specialist knowledge to advise on a range of Mental Health Law matters.
Such matters include:
- Representation, particularly before Hospital Managers and Mental Health Review Tribunals. We also provide representation at Care Programmes Approach and Section 117 Aftercare Meeting.
- Advice on rights to challenge detention under the Mental Health Act 1983.
- Representation in appeals against detention before the Mental Health Review Tribunal and Hospital Managers.
- Advice on issues surrounding the rights to aftercare, challenging diagnosis and treatment, including obtaining an expert second opinion.
- Advice on Nearest Relative rights, including County Court representation and Tribunal eligibility.
We seek to provide continuity of service and endeavour to ensure that our clients are seen by one dedicated team member from beginning to end. Our goal is to provide a high calibre service, always putting our clients' needs first. If you are in any doubt as to whether we can assist you, then please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss your query in confidence.